Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on July 15 in...
- 1556 First publication in the Americas by Mexican printer Juan PABLOS.
The 'Latin ordinary of the Mass', the first book
containing printed music in the New World.
- 1776 By decree of Empress Maria Theresa, a new opera house was erected on the site of the fire destroyed Ducal Theater
of Milan...Santa Maria della Scala.
- 1853 Birth of German soprano Hedwig Reicher-Kindermann in Munich. Known for Wagnerian roles.
- 1872 Birth of German-American conductor Alfred HERTZ in Frankfort. (MET Opera NYC 1902-15, San Francisco Sym,
- 1895 Birth of American violinist Eddy BROWN. Founded Chamber Music Society of America. Music Director of WQXR,
- 1898 Birth of English composer Norman DUMUTH. d-Chichester, 21 APR 1988
- 1910 Birth of English composer Ronald BINGE. d-1978
- 1914 FP of Rimsky-Korsakov's opera 'Le Coq d'or'. Drury Lane Theater, London.
World premiere on September 24th,
- 1914 Marriage of violinist Efram Zimbalist to singer Alma Gluck.
- 1921 Birth of American composer and music professor Jack Hamilton BEESON in
Muncie, Ind. Studied at Eastman
School of Music where his teachers included Howard Hanson, Burrill Phillips, and Bernard Rogers.
- 1930 Death of violinist Leopold Auer at Loschwitz, near Dresden.
- 1933 Birth of English guitarist and lutenist Julian BREAM in London. A protégé
Britten, Walton wrote music for him.
- 1934 Birth of English composer Harrison BIRTWISTLE in Accringto, Lancashire.
- 1946 Birth of American popular singer, and sometime Gilbert and Sullivan soprano
, Pirates of Penzance, Linda RONSTADT of Tucson Arizona
- 1949 Birth of Scottish composer Sir John CASKEN
- 1959 Death of Ernst Bloch, composer, Portland, Oregon.
- 1960 Death in NYC of Lawrence Tibbett, who retired 10 years earlier from the
Metropolitan Opera at age 53.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.