Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on July 20 in...
- 1752 Death in London of German born English composer and conductor John Christopher PEPUSCH at age 85, born in Berlin 1667. In
London from 1700, arranged The Beggar's Opera.
- 1776 Birth of Samuel CHAPPEL, founder of the English music
- 1870 Birth of Austrian composer, violinist and conductor Luigi
von KUNITS in Vienna. In United States from 1893. Toronto
Symphony from 1915.
- 1871 Birth of Australian pianist Ernest HUTCHESON in Melbourne. Naturalized American. President of Juilliard School of
Music in 1937.
- 1872 Birth of French composer Deodat de SEVERAC, Saint Félix,
Studied at the Toulouse Music Conservatory, 1893-1896. Schola
Cantorum, Paris, 1896-1907. Composition with
Albéric Magnard and Isaac Albéniz; Vincent d'Indy, piano, Charles
Bordes, choral conducting. He wrote much of his piano music at this time.
d-Céret, Pyrénées-Orientales 24 MAR 1921.
- 1873 Birth of Polish composer Witold MALISZEWSKI. Director of Chopin School in
- 1908 Birth of Swedish pianist and composer Gunnar de FRUMERIE nr Stockholm. d- Morby, 9 SEP 1987.
- 1910 Birth of Czech born British conductor Vilem TAUSKY.
- 1927 Birth of German conductor and composer Michael GIELEN. Royal Opera, Stockholm. Orchestre National de Belgique
- 1932 Birth of Koren-American avante-garde composer Nam June PAIK
in Seoul,Korea. He studied with Stockhausen and Cage,
He worked in Germany and the USA, exploring mixed media and video
Works include Opera Sextronique written for cellist Charlotte
performed topless, and hommage à john cage where two pianos
are destroyed in the performance.
- 1939 Death of British conductor Sir Dan Godfrey, in Bournemouth, England.
- 1997 Death of Russian ballet dancer Alexandra DANILOVA in NYC.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.