JUNE 1 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 1 in...
- 1653 Birth of composer Georg MUFFAT. d- 23 FEB 1704.
- 1723 Johann Sebastian Bach becomes cantor of the Thomasschule in Leipzig,
- 1755 Birth of composer Frederigo FIORILLO. d- 1823.
- 1757 Birth of piano maker Ignaz Joseph PLEYEL near Vienna.
- 1771 Birth of composer Ferdinando PAER.
- 1804 Birth of Russian composer Mikhail Ivanovich GLINKA in Novospasskoye. d- 15 FEB
- 1826 Birth of piano maker F. W. Bechstein in Gotha.
- 1834 Birth of cellist Wilhelm MULLER.
- 1879 Birth of Russian pianist Mark HAMBOURG.
- 1881 Birth of Hungarian contralton Margaret MATZENAUER.
m-Ferrari-Fontana, 8 JUL.
- 1891 (1889?)Birth of Swedish soprano Sigrid ONEGIN in Stockholm.
- 1899 Birth of German pianist Werner HAAS in Stuttgart. d-13 OCT 1976.
- 1899 Birth of American composer and conductor Werner JANSSEN in NYC.
d- 19 SEP 1990.
- 1904 In Frankfort, FP of Richard Strauss' Sinfonia Domestica.
- 1909 Birth of Polish violinist Szymon GOLDBERG in Wloclawek. .
- 1921 Birth of American arranger and conductor Nelson RIDDLE. Noted arranger-conductor for Frank Sinatra
and Nat King Cole and Capitol Records pop singers of the '50's and '60's. d- 6 OCT 1985 His estate and musical
memorabilia, arrangements etc left to the Music Dept. of The University of Arizona, Tucson.
- 1923 In Darnstadt Germany, FP of Delius' incidental music to Hassan
- Birth of English music administrator Sir John TOOLEY. The general director of the Royal
Opera House, Covent Garden, 1980-88.
- 1925 In Cleveland, FP of Ernest Bloch's Concerto Grosso for strings and
- 1941 Birth of Dutch conductor Edo de WAART in Amsterdam.
- 1942 Birth of flamenco guitarist Professor Paco PENA.
- 1943 Birth of American pianist Richard GOODE in Brooklyn, NY.
- 1945 Birth of American mezzo-soprano Frederica Von STADE in Sommerville, NJ.
- 1946 Death of opera concert singer Leo Slezak at Egern-am Tegernsee, Germany, at the age of 72.
Actor son, Walter Slezak, published his father's letters in 1966.
- 1946 Birth of American soprano Carol NEBLETT in Modesto, CA.
- 1950 Birth of American tenor Philip CREECH in Hempstead, NY.
- 1961 FM multiplex stereo broadcasting was tested for the first time for in Schenectady, NY, Los Angeles and
Chicago. Developed FCC standards for FM-stereo compatible transmission which began in 1962.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).