JUNE 12 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 12 in...
- 1813...Near the Basque city of Vitoria, Sir Anthony Wellesley, later Duke
of Wellington, whipped a French army under King Joseph Bonaparte and drove
it out of Spain, back into France. Beethoven celebrated the event with his
Op 91 Wellington's Victory.
- 1854 Birth of French bass Pol PLANCON. Mephistopheles in Faust.
- 1877 Birth of Vanni MARCOUX.
- 1888 ('85?) Birth of German-American composer Werner JOSTEN in Eberfeld Germany.
- 1897 Birth of Polish composer and pianist Alexander TANSMANN in Lodz. d- 15
- 1897 Birth of English oboist Leon GOOSENS d- 1988.
- 1938 Birth of British tenor Ian PARTRIDGE.
- 1952 Birth of Scottish composer and conductor Oliver KNUSSEN in Glasgow.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).