JUNE 13 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 13 in...
- 1753 Birth of French composer Nicolas DALAYRAC.
- 1761 Birth of composer Antonin VRANICKY. d- 6 AUG 1820.
- 1795 Birth of Moravian violinist, conductor and Beethoven biographer Anton
- 1818 Birth of German soprano Livia FREGE. Star o the Royal Theater, Berlin.
Friend of Mendelssohn. She sponsored Ferdinand David's orchestra.
- 1842 Birth of violinist Camilla URSO.
- 1852 In Weimar, Liszt conducts FP of Schumann's Manfred.
- 1855 In Paris, FP of Verdi's Scicilian Vespers.
- 1869 Birth of Italian-Hungarian composer Eduard POLDINI.
- 1871 Birth of Italian violinist and composer Alfredo d'AMBROSIO.
- 1888 ('85)(91?)Birth of German-American soprano Elizabeth SCHUMANN in Merseburg. d- 1953.
- 1899 Birth of Mexican composer and conductor Carlos CHAVEZ in Calzada de Tacuba. Established Orquests
Sinfonica de Mexico in 1928, principal conductor until 1949. d- 2 AUG
- 1911 In Paris, Pierre Monteux conducts FP of Stavinsky's Petrouchka with
Nijinsky, Karsavina and the Ballet Russe.
- 1923 In London, FP of William Walton's Facade with Dame Edith Sitwell
reading her poems, Walton conducting.
- 1926 Birth of American composer Carlisle FLOYD.
- 1929 Birth of English horn virtuoso Alan CIVIL. d- 19 MAR 1989.
- 1929 Birth of Austrian tenor Kurt EQUILUZ.
- 1938 Birth of Welsh bass Gwynne HOWELL.
- 1962 Death in London, of conductor Sir Eugene Goosens at age 69.
- 1986 Death of American classical and big band clarinetist Benny Goodman.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).