JUNE 14 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 14 in...
- 1594 Death in Munich of Flemish composer Orlando de (Orlandus) Lassus.
- 1671 Birth of Italian composer Thomaso ALBINONI.d -
- 1730 Birth of Italian composer Antonio SACCHINI in Florence. In Paris from
- 1784 Birth of Italian composer Francesco MORLACCHI in Perugia.
- 1835 Birth of Russian composer Nicolai RUBINSTEIN.
- 1853 Birth of German baritone Max HEINRICH.
- 1876 In Paris, FP of Leo DeLibes ballet Silvia.
- 1881 The player piano was patented by John McTammany, Jr. of Cambridge, MA.
- 1884 ('89?)Birth of Irish born American tenor John McCORMACK in Athlone. d - 1945.
- 1894 Birth of English tenor Heddie NASH. d- 1961.
- 1910 Birth of German conductor Rudolph KEMPE. d- 1976.
- 1923 Birth of American conductor Theodore BLOOMFIELD in Cleveland.
- 1934 Birth of Greek composer, clarinetist and teacher Nicolas Roussakis, in Athens.
- 1927 In Moscow, FP of Gliere's 'The Red Poppy.
- 1942 Birth of Russian cellist Natalia GUTMAN.
- 1942 FP of Sir Benjamin Britten's A Ceremony of Carols, for treble voices and harp, at Aldeburgh, England.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).