Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 15 in...
- 1734 Birth of composer Johann Ernst ALTENBURG. d- 14 MAY 1801.
- 1763 Birth of composer Franz DANZI in Mannheim. d - 13 APR 1826.
- 1810 FP of Beethoven's incidental music to Goethe's Egmont, in
- 1821 Birth of Russian teacher Nikolai ZAREMBA. Director of St. Petersburg
- 1843 Birth of Norwegian composer Edvard Hagerup GRIEG in Bergen. d-
4 SEP 1907.
- 1855 Birth of German cellist and teacher Alwin SCHRODER. Boston SO,
Kneisel Quartet and Schroder Quartet with brothers.
- 1861 Birth of Czech contralto Ernestine SCHUMANN-HEINK in Prague.
- 1864 Birth of French composer Joseph Guy Marie ROPARTZ. d- 22 NOV 1955.
- 1865 Death of German violinist Jakob Zeugheer. Schuppanzigh Quartet,
Vienna; Quartett Gebruder Herrmann, Munich (1820's).
- 1865 Birth of composer Paul GILSON. d- 3 APR 1942.
- 1872 Birth of German soprano Johanna GADSKI.
- 1889 In Washington DC, outside the Smithsonian Institute, FP of The
Washington Post March composer John Philip Sousa conducting the U.S.
- 1894 Birth of American conductor, composer and arranger Robert Russell
BENNETT in Kansas City. d- 17 AUG 1981.
- 1898 Birth of English organist, teacher, conductor and composer Sir Thomas
ARMSTRONG in Peterborough. d- Oxford 1994.
- 1900 Birth of American composer Otto Clarence LUENING in Milwaukee, WI.Founded Columbia-Princeton
Electronic Music Center.
- 1902 Birth of German conductor Max RUDOLF in Frankfurt. Music Director Cincinnati Sym. (1958).
- 1910 Birth of English born, American popular music composer David ROSE
in London. Composer of chamber serious works and popular light instrumentals in the 1950's. MGM film orchestrator 1940's. Brief marriage to Judy Garland. 22 Grammy Awards. The Stripper,
Holiday for Strings, Holiday for Trombones, Our Waltz, Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza, Sea
Hunt, Highway Patrol; Highway to Heaven, The Red Skelton Show, The Tony Martin Show;
d- 23 AUG 1990
- 1919 First postage stamp honoring a living composer was issued. In Poland,
- 1929 Birth of Australian pianist Geoffrey PARSONS. d- 1995.
- 1936 Birth of American trumpet virtuoso Edward TARR. Specialist in
Renaissance and Baroque music.
- 1947 Birth of British composer and professor Paul PATTERSON.
- 1953 Birth of English cellist Rafael WALLFISCH. Studied with
- 1959 Birth of English cellist Robert COHEN.
- 1967 Marriage of English cellist Jacqueline DuPre and pianist-conductor Daniel
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.