JUNE 16 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 16 in...
- 1804 Death of Johann Adam Hiller in Leipzig. German composer who developed
the lyric art form Singspiel.
- 1813 Birth of German musicologist and Mozart biographer Otto JAHN in
- 1823 Publication date of the Diabelli Variations written by 51 composers
on themes set by publisher Diabelli. (Beethoven's op 120 and others by
Czerny, Hummel, Schubert, Moscheles and others including 11 year old Franz
- 1843 Birth of composer and cellist David POPPER.
- 1849 Birth of British singing teacher William SHAKESPEARE in
- 1858 Birth of composer Eugene YSAYE. d- 12 MAY 1931.
- 1890 A gala program of music and ballet, of music by composer Edward Strause, opened the first
Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- 1891 Dvorak receives his Mus.D degree from Cambridge University.
- 1899 Birth of opera diva Helen Traubel, St. Louis Symphony, New York Metropolitan Opera
The Metís premier Wagnerian soprano. d-28 JUL 1972.
- 1909 Birth of Austrian violinist and conductor Willi BOSKOVSKY. d-
- 1923 Birth of Polish conductor and composer Henryk CZYZ in
- 1928 Birth of Rumanian-American conductor Sergiu COMISSIONA in
- 1929 Birth of American composer James K. RANDALL in Cleveland
OH. Princeton Univ faculty.
- 1937 FP of American composer Mark Blitzstein's opera-review The Cradle Will
Rock in NYC. Composer was pianist.
- 1943 Death of Sigrid Onegin in Magliaso, Switzerland at age 54.
- 1950 Birth of Mr Robert St
John Wright, chairman of the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
- 1952 Birth of American tenor Jerry Hadley in Princeton, IL..
- 1953 Birth of English pianist David Owen NORRIS.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).