JUNE 17 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 17 in...
- 1806 Birth of German tympanist Ernst PFUNDT. Under Mendelssohn at Leipzig
Gewandhaus and inventor of the pedal kettledrum.
1818 Birth of French composer, conductor and organist Charles GOUNOD, in
d- 18 OCT 1893.
- 1848 Birth of French baritone Victor MAUREL. d- 1923.
- 1880 Birth of American music writer Carl Van VECHTEN.
- 1882 Birth of Russian-American composer Igor STRAVINSKY in Oranienbaum,
Russia. Son of bass singer Feodor Stravinsky of St. Petersburg Opera. d-
6 APR 1971.
- 1886 Birth of Scottish-American baritone Fraser GEORGE in Dundee.
- 1894 Birth of Russian-American pianist Pierre LUBOSHUTZ in Odessa.
- 1895 Birth of Yugoslavian composer and teacher Slavko OSTERC.
- 1903 In Chicago, FP of Victor Herbert's Babes In Toyland.
- 1908 FP of Stravinsky's Fireworks for marriage of Rimsky-Korsakov's
daughter to Maxmillian Steinberg.
- 1910 Birth of American composer H. Owen Reed in Odessa Mo. c2831 PT Green
Valley AZ resident.
- 1912 Birth of American composer Don GILLIS in Cameron, Missouri.
- 1914 Finnish composer Jean Sibelius awarded Mus.D. by Yale University.
- 1916 Birth of Finnish composer Einar ENGLUND.
- 1919 Birth of Russian composer Galina USTROLSKAYA.
- 1924 Birth of English conductor Sir
- 1932 ('31?)Birth of American mezzo-soprano Mignon DUNN in Memphis, TN
- 1933 Birth of French violinist Christian FERRAS. d- 1982.
- 1958 Birth of American countertenor Derek Lee RAGIN.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).