JUNE 19 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 19 in...
- 1708 Birth of composer Johann Gottlieb JANITSCH. d- 1763.
- 1717 Birth of Bohemian violinist, composer and conductor Johann Wenzel
STAMITZ. Director of The Mannheim School. d- 27 MAR 1757.
- 1810 Birth of violinist Ferdinand DAVID. Leipzig teacher, Gewandhaus
concertmaster. FP Mendelssohn VC, music of Bach and Beethoven.
- 1810 Concertina is patented in England by Wheatstone.
- 1842 Birth of Austrian composer Carl ZELLER. d-1898.
- 1843 Birth of French composer Charles Edouard LEFEBVRE in Paris.
- 1854 Birth of Italian composer Alfredo CATALANI. Today remembered for his
opera, La Wally. d-1893.
- 1896 Birth of Australian organist George THABIN-BALL who settled in England, and was
organist at the Temple Church in London. City Organist of Birmingham.
Performances popular on the BBC.
- 1898 Birth of Swiss conductor Paul MULLER in Zurich. d -21 JUL
- 1899 FP of Elgar's Enigma
Variations. Halle Orch at Queen's Hall, a Hans Richter concert in London.
- 1924 Birth of German soprano Anneliesa ROTHENBERGER in Mannheim.
- 1934 Birth of Canadian bass-baritone Donald BELL in British
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).