JUNE 2 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 2 in...
- 1834 Birth of Bohemian soprano Teresa STOLZ in Kosteletz.
- 1835 Birth of music educator (Russian Musical Society, 1860 and Moscow
Conservatory) Nicolas RUBINSTEIN.
- 1846 In Paris, debut of pianist Camille Staint-Seans. Becomes major
- 1857 Birth of English composer and conductor Sir Edward William ELGAR in Broadheath.
Enigma Variations; oratorio The Dream of
23 FEB 1934.
- 1858 Birth of American organist and composer Harry Rowe SHELLEY.
- 1863 Birth of German composer and conductor Felix WEINGARTNER in
Dalmatia. d- 1942.
- 1896 In Paris, at the Salle Pleyel, Saint-Seans introduces his Piano
Concerto No 5 at a concert commemoration his debut 50 years earlier.
- 1908 Birth of American radio announcer (NBC) and classical concert host, Ben GRAUER.
d - 31 MAY 1977.
- Birth of English composer Professor Robin
- 1935 Birth of composer Samuel JONES.
- 1938 Marriage of Lily Pons to conductor Andre Kostelanitz. (Later
- 1944 Birth of American popular music composer Marvin HAMLISCH.
- 1946 Birth of Danish soprano Inge NIELSEN.
- 1947 Birth of English conductor Mark ELDER.
- 1949 Birth of American tenor Neil SHICOFF in NYC.
- 1955 Birth of French pianist Michel DALBERTO.
- 1953 FP Sir William Walton's Coronation Te Deum, Composed for the coronation
of 27-year-old Queen Elizabeth II, in London, on this day.
- 1987 Death of Spanish guitarist Andres Segovia at age 94.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).