JUNE 20 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 20 in...
- 1750 ('56?)Birth of German-Swiss composer Joseph Martin KRAUS.
d- 15 DEC 1792
- 1819 Birth of Rhenish-Jewish conductor, cellist and composer
OFFENBACH, living in France since youth. d- 5 OCT 1880.
- 1861 Birth of American pianist, organist and composer Arthur
- 1868 Birth of English conductor Sir Dan GODFREY.
- 1898 Marriage of Josef and Rosina Lhevinne, piano duo.
- 1899 Birth of American soprano Helen TRAUBEL in Saint Louis. d- Santa
Monica, CA 28 JUL 1972.
- 1901 FP of Sir Edward Elgar's Cockaigne Overture, In
London Town at a
London Philharmonic concert.
- 1925 (-26?)Birth of Austrian pianist Ingrid HAEBLER.
- 1931 Birth of Norwegian composer Arne NORDHEIM.
- 1937 First televised operetta by W2XBS (WCBS-TV)NYC,
Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan was
televised to a very small audience of TV viewers.
- 1946 Birth of American pianist Andre WATTS.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).