JUNE 21 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 21 in...
21st...JUN First Day of Summer
- 1615 Birth of Italian composer, lutenist and painter Salvator ROSA near
- 1732 Birth of German composer Johann Christoph Friedrich BACH in Leipzig. (Ninth son
of JS). d- 26 JAN 1795.
- 1786 Birth of English composer, singer and conductor Charles Edward HORN. In
Boston from 1847 as conductor of Handel and Haydn Society.
- 1862 Birth of American pianist and composer Henry Holden HUSS.
- 1868 In Munich FP of Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg. Hans von Bulow conducting.
- 1890 In Eisenach, Germany, Richard Strauss conducts the FP of his tone
poem Death and Transfiguration.
- 1891 Birth of German conductor Hermann SCHERCHEN in Berlin. d-Florence, 1966.
- 1892 Birth of Swedish composer Hilding ROSENBERG in Bosjokloster. d-
- 1893 Birth of Czech quarter-tone composer Alois HABA in Moravia.
- 1898 In London, FP of Faure's incidental music for Maeterlink's Pelleas
- 1898 Birth of American composer Avery CLAFLIN. d- 9 JAN 1979.
- 1908 Death of Russian composer Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov in Lubensk, Russia, at age sixty-four. Stravinsky writes
a Chant funebre in homage.
- 1921 Birth of Canadian conductor Harry NEWSTONE.
- 1928 Birth of American soprano Judith RASKIN in New York City.
- 1932 Birth of American composer Lalo SCHIFRIN in Buenos Aires.
- 1935 Birth of Spanish born French conductor Diego MASSON.
- 1948 In NYC, Columbia Records releases a new collection of recordings on
vinyl microgroove Long Playing 33 1/3 rpm discs.
- 1952 Birth of English composer Judith BINGHAM.
- 1958 Birth of American mezzo-soprano Jennifer LARMORE.
- 2000 Death of American-Armenian composer Alan Hovhaness in Seattle, WA. Composer-in-residence Seattle
Symphony. b-Somerville, MA 8 MAR 1911.
look at Hovhaness's discography
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).