JUNE 22 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 22 in...
- 1611 Birth of composer Pablo BRUNA. d - 27 JUN 1679.
- 1763 Birth of French composer Etienne Henri MEHUL. d- 18 OCT 1817.
- 1830 Birth of Polish composer, pianist and teacher Theodore LESCHETIZKY.
Taught Paderewski, Gabrilowitch, Schnabel and other famous pianists.
- 1846 Birth of French instrument maker Adolph SAX in Paris. Saxophone in
- 1847 Birth of Hungarian pianist Willy THERN, who with his brother Louis
were a popular piano playing duo.
- 1859 Birth of German-American violinist, conductor and educator Frank DAMROSH in Breslau, son of
Leopold, brother of Walter . In NYC founded Institute of Musical Art.
- 1900 Birth of Russian born American Mezzo-Soprano Jennie TOUREL,
d- NYC, 23 NOV 1973.
- 1905 Birth of English composer Walter LEIGH. d - 12 JUN 1942.
- 1910 Birth of English tenor Sir Peter PEARS in Farnham, Surrey, d- 1986.
- 1911 FP of Elgars Coronation March at coronation of of King George V and
- 1925 Birth of English-German conductor Hans Hubert SCHONZELER. d - 1997.
- 1926 In Zurich, FP of William Walton's Portsmouth Point Overture at
International contemporary music festival.
- 1930 Birth of American pianist Paul Jacobs, American pianist. d-1983.
- 1932 Birth of composer Michael HORVIT.
- 1933 Birth of Czech conductor Libor PESEK.
- 1949 Birth of French violinist Pierre AMOYAL.
- 1974 Death of French composer Darius Milhaud in Geneva, age 81. b- 4 SEP
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).