JUNE 23 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 23 in...
- 1685 Birth of Italian singer Anto BERNACCHI in Bologna.
- 1824 Birth of German pianist, composer, conductor and teacher Carl REINEKE
d- 10 MAR 1910.
- 1832 Birth of Italian tenor and singing teacher Giovanni SBRIGLIA in
- 1837 Birth of American composer Ernest GUIRAUD in New Orleans.
- 1851 Birth of American organist and composer Clarence EDDY.
- 1852 Birth of Italian-French pianist Raoul PUGNO in Paris.
- 1855 Birth of English song composer Maude Valerie WHITE.
- 1864 Birth of American music writer Philip H. GOEPP.
- 1877 Birth of American composer Blair FAIRCHILD. First American to have
an opera performed at Paris Opera. Dame libellule 1921.
- 1887 Birth of American teacher and conductor John Finley WILLIAMSON who
founded the Westminster Choir School.
- 1890 Birth of American pianist, composer and choral conductor William J.
- 1892 Birth of Polish pianist and teacher Mieczyslaw HORZOWSKI in
Lwow. A pupil of Leschetizky, he played joint recitals with
taught at Philadelphia's Curtis Institute of Music for most of his long
life. He died there in 1993 (age 101).
- 1908 Birth of Finnish conductor Jussi JALAS. Sibelius' son-in-law, born in Jyvaskyla.
- 1922 Birth of American composer and jazz pianist Francis
THRONE in Bay Shore, New York. The grandson of The Complete Opera Book author
- 1943 Birth of American conductor and pianist James LEVINE Cincinnati,
- 1948 Birth of English composer Nigel OSBORNE in Manchester.
- 1950 Birth of British conductor Nicholas CLEOBURY.
- 1956 Birth of American soprano Sylvia McNAIR in Mansfield, OH.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).