JUNE 24 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 24 in...
- 1803 Birth of English composer George James WEBB. In Boston from 1930 as
- 1840 Birth of French pianist and composer Louis BRASSIN. d- 17 MAY 1884.
- 1854 At Weimar, FP of Schubert's opera Alfonso and Estrella, produced by
- 1865 Birth of Irish baritone H. Plunket GREEN. Old English songs
- 1901 Birth of American composer Harry PARTCH in Oakland
- 1903 Birth of composer Hans DISTLER.
- 1906 Birth of French cellist Pierre FOURNIER. d-1986.
- 1909 Birth of conductor, violist and commentator on WOR radio, Milton KATIMS in
- 1916 Birth of American composer Ruth Shaw WYLIE in Cincinnati.
- 1921 Opening of The American Conservatory of Music at Fontainebleau.
- 1922 Birth of American composer Roy TRAVIS in NYC.
- 1935 At The Dresden Opera, FP of R. Strauss' Die Schweigsame Frau.
- 1935 Birth of American avant guard composer Terry RILEY in Colfax CA.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).