JUNE 25 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 25 in...
- -930 Death of Hucbald, a Benedictine monk. He invented the music staff
- 1708 Bach takes position of at Weimar.
- 1840 For the 400th anniversary of the Gutenberg Printing Press,
Mendelssohn presents his Symphony No. 2, Lobegesang (Song of Praise)
at Thomaskirche in Leipzig.
- 1850 FP of Schumann's opera Genoveva in Leipzig..
- 1855 Birth of Hungarian soprano Etelka GERSTER.
- 1860 Birth of French composer Gustave CHARPENTIER d- 1956.
- 1886 Chief of Rio de Janeiro Opera resigns. 19 year old cellist Arturo
Toscanini conducts with acclaim.
- 1897 Birth of German pianist and composer Hans BARTH in Leipzig.
Inventor of quarter-tone piano.
- 1910 In Paris, FP of Stavinsky's Firebird. Performed by Diaghilev's
- 1935 Birth of Austrian composer Kurt SCHWERTSIK.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).