JUNE 26 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 26 in...
- 1747 Birth of composer Leopold Jan Antonin KOZELUH (Kozeluch) in Welwarn. d- 7 MAY 1818.
- 1788 Mozart finishes his Sym #39 in Eb, K. 543.
- 1870 In Munich, the FP of R. Wagner's opera Die Walkure. He did not
want it performed.
- 1875 Birth of American pianist and composer Camille ZECKWER, in
Philadelphia. Son of Richard.
- 1878 Birth of Hungarian composer Albert SIKLOS.
- 1885 Birth of German soprano Frieda HEMPEL in Leipzig.
- 1900 Birth of American tenor Richard CROOKS.
- 1902 Birth of American pianist and conductor Antonia BRICO in Rotterdam.. In 1935 organized the
Women's Symphony Orchestra.
- 1902 Birth of Swiss tenor Hugues CUENOD in
- 1907 French composer Camille Saint-Saens is given the Mus.D degree at
- 1912 In Vienna, FP of Mahler's Ninth Symphony is performed posthumously.
Bruno Walter conducting.
- 1914 Birth of German tenor Wolfgang WINDGASSEN in Annemasse. d- 1974).
Leading singer of Wagner's heroic tenor roles in 1950s and 1960s.
- 1916 Birth of Italian baritone Giuseppe TADDEI in Genoa..
- 1923 Birth of English bandleader Syd LAWRENCE.
- 1928 Birth of American composer Jacob DRUCKMAN. d- 1996. A faculty member at Yale University, in Philadelphia.
- 1933 Birth of Italian conductor Claudio ABBADO in Milan.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).