JUNE 27 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 27 in...
- 1729 Death of composer and clavecinist Elizabeth-Claude Jacquet de
- 1789 Birth of composer Friedrich SILCHER in Schnaith. d- 26 AUG 1860.
- 1812 Birth of English composer and teacher J. P. HULLAH.
- 1819 Birth of piano teacher and exercise composer A. LOESCHHORN in
- 1846 Birth of Henry E. Abbey, in Ohio, first manager of the MET Opera
- 1859 Birth of American composer, organist and pianist Mildred HILL. With lyrics by her younger sister Patty Smith Hill wrote
Birthday to You. d- 1916.
- 1861 Birth of English pianist Fanny DAVIS. First to give a piano recital
in Westminster Abbey.
- 1887 In London, FP of Sir Charles Villers Stanford's 'Irish Symphony'.
At a Richter concert.
- 1888 Birth of Portuguese cellist Guilhermina SUGGIA.
- 1896 In Berlin, FP of Karl Goldmark's opera The Cricket on
based on Dicken's story.
- 1898 Birth of Hungarian composer Tibor HARSANYI in Magyarkanisza. d-Paris,
19 SEP 1954.
- 1910 Birth of Czech composer and pianist Karel REINER.
- 1913 (28th?) Birth of English composer George LLOYD.
- 1922 Birth of American composer and pianist George T. WALKER in Washington, D.C..
- 1932 Birth of American soprano Anna MOFFO-SARNOFF in Wayne, Pa. Metropolitan Opera [1959-1969]. m. Robert
Sarnoff , former chairman of the board of NBC and RCA Records.
- 1932 Birth of English composer Hugh WOOD.
- 1936 Birth of American soprano Nancy GUSTAFSON.
- 1937 Birth of American pianist Samuel
- 1958 Birth of Finnish composer Magnus LINDBERG.
- 1960 Birth of English conductor and harpsichordist Robert KING.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).