JUNE 3 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 3 in...
- 1746 Birth of English composer James HOOK. Was organist at the pleasure gardens of Mayrlebone and Vauxhall in London.
- 1801 Birth of Bohemian-Czech conductor and composer Frantisek SKROUP in Osice. Composed the opera Tinker and
Czech national anthem. d- Rotterdam, 7 FEB 1862.
- 1803 Birth in Prussia of American piano builder William KNABE.
- 1832 Birth of French composer Charles Alexandre LECOCQ in Paris. d- 24 OCT 1918.
- 1851 Birth of Theodore Baker in NYC, American musicologist who originated a
biographic dictionary of musicians in 1900 and one of the sources for this historical almanac-datebook.
- 1875 Death of Alexander Cesar Leopold Bizet, French composer known by
Georges, in Bougival, France, just after FP of Carmen.
- 1887 Birth of American tenor Roland HAYES in Curryville, Georgia.
- 1887 Birth of Moravian composer and critic Emil AXMAN.
- 1899 Death of the younger Austrian composer Johann Strauss II in
Vienna, age 73. b- 25 OCT 1825.
- 1904 Birth of American tenor Jan PEERCE (Jacob Pincus Perlemuth) in NYC.
- 1937 Birth of English soprano Valerie MASTERSON.
- 1939 Death of Spanish composer and conductor Enrique Fernandez ARBOS.
- 1956 Birth of English soprano Lynne DAWSON.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).