JUNE 4 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 4 in...
- 1091 Death of Benedictine abbot Wilhelm von Hirsau, at Hirsau in
Wurttemberg. He wrote two music treatises.
- 1770 Birth in Dartmoor England of James HEWITT pianist and music publisher in NYC and
Boston. Composed opera Tammany.
- 1811 In Munich, FP of Weber's opera Abu Hassan.
- 1829 Birth of Dutch composer Joseph Ascher who died on his birthday in
- 1891 Birth in Budapest of Erno RAPEE, in 1932 music director of Radio City
Music Hall, in 1935 conductor of the General Motors Orchestra.
- 1903 Birth of Russian conductor Evgeny MRAVINSKY. d-1988.
- 1907 Death of Norwegian pianist Agathe Backer-Grondahl.
- 1909 Birth of American composer Paul NORDOFF in Philadelphia.
- 1910 Birth of Yugoslav tenor Anton DERMOTA. d- 1989.
- 1914 In Norfolk, CN, at the Litchfield Counrty Choral festival, Sibelius
conducts FP of his 'Oceanides' with his 'Pohjola's Daughter' and The Swan
- 1917, (1918?) (1919?) Birth of Met baritone Robert MERRILL (Morris
Miller) in Brooklyn NY.
- 1922 Birth of American composer Irving BAZELON in Evanston, IL.
- 1951 Death of double bassits and conductor Serge Koussevitzky at age 76 in Boston where he conducted the BSO for 25 years.
- 1966 Birth of Italian mezzo-soprano Cecilia BARTOLI.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).