JUNE 5 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 5 in...
- 1625 Death of English Elizabethan composer Orlando GIBBONS. Buried in
- 1826 Death of composer Carl Maria Von Weber in the London home of Sir
- 1826 Birth of Swedish pianist and composer Ivar HALLSTROM.
- 1863 Birth of English composer Sir Arthur SOMERVELL. d-1937
- 1879 Birth of Swedish conductor, composer and pianist Adolf WIKLUND.
- 1897 Birth of English music patron Sir Robert MAYER. d- 1985
- 1919 Birth of Japanese conductor Akeo WATANABE in Tokyo. (Nippon PO 1956-68)
- 1923 Birth of American composer and conductor Daniel Rodgers
PINKHAM in Lynn, MA.
- 1923 Birth of Chinese composer Wen-Chung CHOU in Chefoo, Yentai
- 1939 Birth of Dutch composer Louis ANDRIESSEN in Utrecht. Studied with
his father Hendrik (organist and composer).
- 1941 Birth of Argentinian pianist Martha ARGERICH in Buenos Aires. Married
for a period to Swiss conductor Charles Dutoit.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).