JUNE 6 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 6 in...
- 1757 Birth of Ignaz
PLAYEL, Austrian-French pianist and
manufacturer and publisher of sheet music,
composed minor works for the piano.
- 1799 Birth of Russian conductor and Imperial Choir director, Alexis LVOV,
in St. Petersburg. Composer of national anthem God Save The Tsar
- 1807 Birth of Belgian cellist and composer Adrien-Francois
SERVAIS. d- 26 NOV 1866.
Birth of Charles Alexander LECOQ- Paris, French Composer. d 24 OCT 1918.
- 1840 Birth of English composer, organist and music scholar Sir John
STAINER in London.
- 1858 Birth of German pianist and conductor Bruno Oscar KLIEN, in USA from
- 1869 Birth of composer Sigfried WAGNER, son of Richard and Cosima. d- 25
- 1875 Death of French composer Georges Bizet.
- 1894 The Schola Cantorum is founded in Paris by Guilmant, D'Indy and
- 1895 Birth of English soprano Grete STUECKGOLD in London.
- 1903 Birth of Armenian composer Aram KHACHATURIAN. d- 1 MAY 1978.
- 1904 (Jun 3rd?)Birth of American tenor Jan PEERCE (Jacob Pincus Perelmuth) in NYC, NY. MET
- 1915 Birth of American composer Vincent PERSICHETTI.
- 1924 In Prague, Zemlinsky conducts FP of Mahler's unfinished Tenth
- 1925 In Paris, at a Koussevitsky concert, FP of Prokofiev's Second
- 1926 Birth of German conductor Klaus TENNSTEDT d-German home, cancer 12 JAN
- 1928 In Dresden, FP of Richard Strauss' opera The Egyptian Helen.
- 1934 Birth of pianist and conductor Philippe ENTREMONT.
- 1939 Birth of Dutch composer Louis ANDRISSEN.
- 1942 (? date)Birth of English countertenor Paul ESSWOOD.
- 1948 Birth of English pianist and conductor Diane AMBACHE.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).