JUNE 7 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 6 in...
- 1845 Birth of Hungarian violinist and teacher Leopold AUER. (Taught Elman,
Zimbalist and Heifetz).
- 1873 Birth of English composer and conductor Landon RONALD (Landon Ronald
- 1897 Birth of Hungarian-American conductor and composer George SZELL Cleveland Orchestra. d- 1970
- 1922 At Norfolk, CN. Festival, Ralph Vaughan Williams conducts first
American performance of his Pastoral Symphony.
- 1927 In Paris the Ballet Russe premieres Prokofiev's ballet Pas
- 1928 Birth of American popular music composer Charles STROUSE.
- 1937 Birth of Estonian conductor Neeme JARVI.
- 1941 Birth of Bolivian-American violinist Jaime LAREDO.
- 1945 FP of Benjamin Britten's opera Peter Grimes.
- 1963 Birth of French tenor Roberto ALAGNA.
- 1967 Birth of Finnish pianist Olli MUSTONEN.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).