JUNE 8 www.CLASSICalmanac.com
Welcome to the
our classical music
daily historical directory
notible deaths this year
join and post
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
today in classical music
on June 8 in...
- 1612 Death of German organist and composer Hans Leo HASSLER.
- 1671 Birth of Italian composer and violinist Thomaso ALBINONI in Venice.
- 1790 Birth of Austrian baritone (Don Giovanni and Figaro) Anton FORTI in
Vienna. d- 29 JUL 1856.
- 1810 Birth of German composer Robert Alexander SCHUMANN in Zwickau, Saxony,
Germany. d- Near Bonn, 29 JUL
1856. He wrote 1 opera, 4 symphonies, several overtures, various chamber works,
over 100 keyboard pieces, and hundreds of songs and choral works.
Born to a bookseller, he had virtually no musical training until the age of
twenty. He married pianist Clara Wieck, who was a champion of his music.
- 1868 Birth of Spanish-American pianist and composer Alberto JONAS in
Madrid. In USA from 1894.
- 1894 Birth of composer Ervin SCHULHOFF d- 18 AUG 1942.
- 1906 Birth of English clarinetist and teacher Reginald KELL in York, d-
Frankfort, KY 5 AUG 1981.
- 1912 FP of Ravel's ballet Daphnis and Chloe in stage form, by
Diaghilev and the Ballet Russe in Paris.
- 1937 FP of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.
- 1949 Birth of Polish-American pianist Emanuel AX in Lvov, Poland.
- 1950 Birth of American violinist Elmar OLIVEIRA in Waterbury, CN.
Thanks to Alan-KUAT-FM and Howard-WOMR-FM
for their contributions.
Send your additions, corrections or comments to:
Search other days
See other CLASSICalmanacs
by entering a name or date
in our search box window...
Click to subscribe to CLASSICalmanac
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
...Subscribe to BBC Music Magazine
CLASSICalmanac is an associate of BBC Music Magazine
& CD an exciting, informative monthly magazine covering the live,
broadcast, and recorded aspects of classical music. Every monthly issue
comes with an exclusive CD as do the quarterly special issues, a series
expanding major musical genres. (Mailed via Postal Service).